Yes – with nothing else to do during this quarantine, I had more than enough time to sit and watch almost every single Vogue Beauty Secrets videos. If you’re unfamiliar, the series can be found on Vogue’s website or, of course, their Youtube Channel. It’s essentially a series of videos where supermodels, actresses, TV personalities, pop stars, influencers – you know, all the goddesses of the world- film their beauty routines in their bathroom which all seem to have perfect lighting and ledge with the perfect angle for their phone or camera allowing for effortless production that makes these already beautiful people, even. more. beautiful.
So let’s do it. Here are the tips and tricks I found to be most commonly and widely used among beauty legends like Hailey Bieber, Kylie Jenner, Hilary Duff, Sofia Richie, Romee Strijd, Ashley Graham, Madeline Petsch… you get it.
- People wear waaaayyyy LESS makeup than you would think. I was shocked. Most of the time they spend getting ready is hydrating and rejuvenating their skin from sleeping, and then prepping it for makeup. These people are all about skincare. So get yourself a skin care routine prontooo. One thing literally every single person did was massage their moisturizer into their skin with a roller that will also help you get rid of any morning puffiness. Camila Mendes, Lili Reinhart, and Hilary Duff all use this Nurse Jamie Beauty Roller (which I actually have as well, and it works great). However, most of the models like Romee Strijd & Adriana Lima, who really have their beauty shit together, use this high end contraption which I obviously now feel inclined to purchase. These vibrating ones are also supposed to be great for at home lymphatic drainage.
- The second tip is to use your “God Given Tools.” This is a direct quote from Madeline Petsch’s video. If you live under a rock, Madeline Petsch plays Cheryl Blossom on Riverdale and has skin closely resembling porcelain. She literally has a 38 step skincare routine, I kid you not. Madeline, Kourtney Kardashian, Sofia Richie, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Emily Ratajkowski and literally every other single person who has done a beauty secrets video will tell you to use your fingers. A lot of them actually relay this tip from their professional makeup artists who claim the heat from the body helps warm the products up and apply more evenly. I always felt like I never had enough brushes, but I now realize I was born with ten 👍🏻😄. Whether it’s for eye shadow, blush, foundation, or anything in between…. don’t be afraid to use your fingers.
- This tip changed my life. Once I adopted it, everyone began asking me what I was doing differently to my makeup (I’m assuming in a good way… considering I was explicitly told to do this by every beautiful person in the world). Okay so this tip is to drag your blush over the bridge of your nose. It will give you the most natural and realistic sun kissed glow. I’ve been doing this with the cream blush I just got from my big Sephora
- For a natural day time glow, use your bronzer, blush, and highlighter as an eyeshadow combo. This will help keep the eyes bright, and also look the most natural and cohesive with the rest of your face makeup. Our model, superstar, actress friends tell us to feel free to just swipe it across your eyelid with, you guessed it……. your fingers (:
- Exfoliate your lips with an unused toothbrush. A lot of models talked about this one, which makes me think it’s a hidden secret among the most elite… and they just happened to let the cat out of the bag for us common folk. By brushing over your lips, you help the blood circulate and end up with these natural pouty plump lips.
- Every. Single. Beauty. Secrets. Video…… literally every single one in creation: **DON’T FORGET YOUR NECK.** This tip comes in twofold. The first, obviously, don’t forget your neck when putting on foundation. You can always blend it out with bronzer too. The second part of “Don’t forget your neck” is in regards to your serums and moisturizers. You want to make sure you keep your neck hydrated, tight, and firm!! One of Madeline Petsch’s 38 steps of her skin are routine is actually a neck cream. she’s 25…. she has a neck cream. I guess, to be fair, it really is all about prevention, ladies.
- Okay I probably had this realization around my 15th video. No one wears a full coat of lipstick. They ever so slightly over line their lips, and then dab on a neutral lip tone. Sometimes if they’re really feeling it, they’ll throw a clear gloss over top, but for the most part, they try to keep the lips natural and plump looking.
I have to be honest, watching all of these videos had me feeling such a 180 from what I usually take away from makeup videos. I feel like most makeup vloggers pile on so much make up, and have a million brushes, and are so strategic with their placement and application, and have a million rules to follow – it always had me feeling like I would have to spend thousands to have a complete makeup collection. BUTTTTTTT now, after watching how casual these super mega stars are with their day to day makeup, it’s obvious that all your time should 100% be spent taking care of your skin, and trusting what works best for your face.